Monday, July 4, 2011

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.




I love watching documentaries and I chanced upon a really inspiring documentary yesterday that I would like to share with all of you. The title 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' was enough to get my attention... and it did make me change my lifestyle after watching it. Well, I started incorporating juicing as part of my healthy lifestyle.


So what's the film about? Overweight Australian Joe Cross attempts to do something about his failing health that was an accumulation of bad diet choices and sedentary lifestyle. He was 100 pounds overweight, loaded up on steroids and suffering from a debilitating autoimmune disease. Being overweight, or rather, obese, is taking a toll on his health and he is on the brink of getting a heart attack anytime.

This is "Fat Joe" when he was 310 lbs

The film takes us through his self-imposed 60-day juice fast (under the supervision of his doctor) journey through America in which he engages everyday Americans in discussions about food and obesity in this lighthearted documentary addressing a deadly serious subject. Why America? He goes there for work regularly and he can't think of a better place than America (it is junk food paradise afterall, or should I say hell?) to face his battle against unhealthy food.




Joe talks to everyday regular Americans about their weight, diet and health.


Soon after his journey began, we could see how quickly Joe's weight in on the steady decline. I have to say he is an inspiration - for not eating doughnuts, pizzas, burgers and all things unhealthy while he was in Amercia. That's a massive load of willpower. He stuck to his juices and nothing else. He also ended his dependence on prescription drugs as his body begun to heal itself.

Joe brought his juicer everywhere he went.


And now... are you ready for an inspiring moment? This is how Joe looks now. After his fast, he continued to include juicing as part of his lifestyle. He exercises daily and eats wisely.

Holy smokes! Beneath the fat suit is a gorgeous man!


Yup, this is Joe Cross now. Amazing transformation that resulted from a healthy lifestyle!


Joe proved just how empowering it can be to take responsibility for our own health. In his film, he also showed how he inspired "Fat Phil" to make a lifestyle change. Fat Phil was a truck driver who was morbidly obese, tipping the scale at over 400lbs.


Fat Phil on the left, Joe Cross on the right (can't call him Fat Joe now...)


Fat Phil having his first fruit juice


Fat Phil on his way to a new him. He has lost lots of weight and still losing...


This is really a must-watch film as it would change your life or would at least inspire you to change your lifestyle. I have incorporated juicing into my dietary needs after watching this film. I replace at least one meal with a powerful fruit & veg juice cocktail. It is the best thing I can do for my body and immune system, by drinking the anti-oxidants and vitamins. It is not about losing weight for me (although it will be a bonus of course), but more about cutting down on processed food with empty calories and zero nutrients, and giving my body the good stuff it needs to be strong and healthy.

I opt for organic produce as much as I can but when it's not possible, I will ensure I wash the fruits and vegetables with an organic wash to remove the pesticides and unwanted stuff. Start looking after your body and it will start looking after you. :)

For more information, please visit: www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

John McIntyre, founder of Healthy Juicing, got in touch with me to share the interview he did with with Joe Cross. In the interview, they talked about Joe's favorite recipes, motivation, how to resist peer pressure and the need for a juicing community. You can read the interview by clicking on this link: http://www.healthy-juicing.com/joe-cross-interview.html






No comments:

Post a Comment