Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Best Burger Is In Town. All Hail Daniel Boulud!





I am not a fan of Marina Bay Sands (MBS). River Dance performance was disappointing, crippled with embarrassing technical breakdown halfway through the performance. Parking sucks at MBS in the evenings, and worse when there's an event taking place. The pathetic gondolas on the water channel are something I won't be caught dead in. However, the only salvation for MBS has to be the stellar line-up of restaurants. I have raved about Guy Savoy and Waku Ghin, and today marks the day that I am a burger convert and a big db fan.

All foodies rejoice. db bistro moderne by the highly acclaimed Chef Daniel Boulud has opened its door to the public today. Fate has it that I was there today to dine with a fellow foodie friend of mine. To set the record straight, I pay for my own meals. I don't get invited as a media guest to do food sampling. I dined at the restaurant as someone who will pay top dollars for the food I love. That means I have the liberty to write about restaurants that I truly like.

To cut to the chase, here are the pics of the immaculate meal I had. For those who want to know more about Chef Boulud and his restos, you can easily read about it online. I shan't bore you with the details and will let the food pics do the talking.


Many great chefs such as Marco Pierre White and Gordon Ramsay will say the key to success is to keep things simple. db bistro does it well with a simple menu offering unpretentious dishes in an easy to read format.


The devil is in the details. As a perfectionist, I appreciate subtle perfections... such as the initials on the napkin. Also on the paper of the bread bowl.


The most basic items usually are the hardest to get right. Even the simple bread here tasted good.


Amuse Bouche was goat's cheese wrapped with zucchini slice on a bed of pumpkin puree. I can eat a dozen of these but it won't be wise, considering the amount of good food that followed.


The Chop Chop Salad. I usually won't order salads as appetisers but this is a signature dish and came recommended by the wait staff. It is the dressing that maketh the salad in this case. This is will something I will order every time I dine at db bistro from now on. Yes mum, I am eating my greens.


Even though I am not a burger fan, I had to order the Original db Burger to try. If burger is a religion, I am a follower now. This is THE burger that converted me. The frites have to be the supermodel of all french fries... perfectly shaped and fried to a golden yellow. Once you tried the fries db bistro, you won't want to go near fast food fries again (those junk food are called "junk" for a reason).


Sirloin steak with frites. What you see is what you get. What you taste is what will bring you back.


As stuffed as we were, we struggled and decided that we have to try at least one dessert. With much prudence, I decided on the profiteroles. I can safely proclaim these as the best I had so far. It is definitely not your usual frozen mass produced profiteroles. This is the king of profiteroles with the hot chocolate sauce drenched over three crisp profiteroles filled with ice cream and hazelnuts (for the added crunchy contrasting texture).

It was a perfect meal. Amazing food, stylish decor, excellent service. I like the food so much that I called the resto when I got home from dinner and made a reservation for dinner again for Monday, 13th December.

me : Hi, I would like to make a reservation for Monday the 13th.
db staff : Madam, did you dine with us earlier?
me : Yes. I love it so much I can't wait to be back.
db staff : Wow. This is the first time in my career that I have a guest called up after dinner on the same day to make another reservation.
me : Thanks for remembering and appreciating the fact that I dined at your restaurant earlier.


Official Sites:
danielboulud.com (db bistro moderne Singapore is not updated on the site yet)
www.marinabaysands.com/Restaurants/DB_Bistro_Moderne.aspx (it still says "Opening Soon" on the MBS site)


No comments:

Post a Comment