Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Whisky, Women And A Malt Vault





I am a woman of reputation... one who takes a liking to whisky. This fact was cemented by the recent article in The Sunday Times, when I was caught in action while enjoying my single malts at Malt Vault. The reporter told me that I was also featured on CNN Online, for a similar story on women loving their whisky. Oh well, no hiding the fact now...



My discovery of whisky happened by chance when I accompanied a friend to a media event hosted by Macallan several years ago. I took home a press kit and that was when I got to read more about whisky. With knowledge came the appreciation, and there was no looking back on the whisky journey. A few years later, I had the opportunity to handle the public relations for Glenmorangie. This experience took my appreciation to a higher level, as I got to meet whisky creators and ambassadors.

Today, I no longer attend media events of whisky brands nor handle the PR for one, but I got a whisky education of a different kind when I met Mike Soldner, owner of Malt Vault. Located at the basement of The Screening Room on Ann Siang Hill, this whisky joint is a well-kept secret among the connoisseurs.



I am impressed with the simple but effective interior design of the bar, especially with the halo-glow effect on the shelves. It's quite a sight to behold, seeing rows of beautiful bottles on display. The unpretentious decor creates an inviting ambience, making it a perfect place to enjoy a single malt after a day's work or to catch up with friends. There's even live music on Fridays and Saturdays.



Being a virgo with set routines, I would usually order Macallan 18 or 25 years old, or Glenmorangie The Original or Nectar D'or.... but I decided to try something new today. With over a few hundred types of whisky available, I really didn't know where to begin when I stepped into Malt Vault. Fortunately, Mike came to my rescue and recommended a couple of Glenfarclas and Strathisla. All the whisky here are single malt, with some being single cask or single grain. Yes, we are talking about seriously good stuff here.




If you are new to whisky or with friends who are, I would recommend the Malt Vault Whisk Trail at $90. With that you get to sample seven different types of whisky from different regions in Scotland. Mike will also lend you the "nosing kit" to go with the trail. You can nose the whisky and try to identify the aromas. There's no right or wrong, as each whisky is a complex liquid with different aromas... with floral, woody and fruity usually being the evident notes.



P.S. : The bar snack menu is rather impressive too. We ordered the lamb kebabs, mushroom spring rolls and calamari... and wiped the plates clean!

Official Sites : www.maltvault.com.sg and www.scotchwhisky.net

2 comments:

  1. I am a woman of reputation... one who takes a liking to whisky. This fact was cemented by the recent article in The Sunday Times, when I was caught in action while enjoying my single malts at Malt Vault. buy wines online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr odoma cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr odoma the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348100649947 or email:drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com    i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr odoma that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com?. or WHATSAPP +2348100649947

    ReplyDelete